“Spread over us Your shelter of peace.”
"Shelter of Peace" features one long and one medium-length gong meditation. Allow the vibrations of the gongs to raise your awareness of your true Self, balance your energies, uplift your spiritual essence, and bring you into alignment with Universal Truth.
Jere Friedman: Gongs, vocals, and chimes.
Shelter of Peace features the following recordings:
1. Sedna Speaks ~ 41:03 ~ The Sedna gong expands and challenges our ideas and assumptions about the very nature of the cosmos, opens us to new paradigms and non-duality, and provides us with access into the deep layers of the personal and collective unconscious, our super conscious, and Universal intelligences.
2. Tsunami ~ 23:28 ~ On this gongbath, the gong vibrations build – like a sonic tsunami – to a crescendo and then decrease until the sounds, and the listener, resolve into peaceful silence.
Suggestions for Listening: "Sedna Speaks" will provide you with a full-length gongbath experience, while "Tsunami" is ideal for shavasana at the end of your yoga session or when you only have 20 minutes or so for meditation, etc. Find a place where you won't be interrupted. Turn off anything that rings, buzzes, beeps, etc. Dim the lights, sit or lie down comfortably. If you have headphones, use them. Close your eyes, take a deep breath in, and release your breath slowly as you let go of anything you no longer want or need to keep within yourself. These recordings also are especially wonderful for listening through headphones while traveling on an airplane, etc. (but not while driving!). You will arrive feeling refreshed and energized. Enjoy the ride!
“I don’t play the gongs – the gongs play me.” The gongs are unlike any ordinary “musical” instrument. The sounds they make when struck by the mallet are completely unpredictable. So there’s no point in trying to determine beforehand exactly what “tune” I will play today, or any other day. Instead, the gongs are my Teacher. They teach me to be ever mindful, to be present, to Be Here Now. They remind me to be humble, to walk with the Divine, to trust that Life brings exactly what is in the highest good of all concerned, to appreciate the Oneness of all Creation, and to Be in the high vibrational space of Love. I hope that these recordings will be as beneficial to you as they have been to me. Blessings to you – Jere Friedman
About the Gongs:
I played the following four remarkable gongs on this CD:
• Mr. Charlie ~ a 32” Paiste Symphonic gong. Mr. Charlie gets his name from the Grateful Dead song with the same name.
• Sylvia ~ a 20” Paiste Symphonic gong. Sylvia is named after my very dear cousin who transitioned from this life in March 2009 following her experience with breast cancer. “Sleep in the stars, Sis.”
• Al Tira ~ a 38” Paiste Sedna Planetary gong. “Al Tira” is Hebrew for “fear not” or “do not fear.” See Genesis 15:1.
• Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh ~ a 24” Paiste Uranus Planetary gong. Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh is Hebrew for one of God’s names: “I will be Who I will be.” See Exodus 3:14. As Divine Beings having a human experience, my wish is that we can each say “I will be who I will be.”
About the Chant:
I start “Sedna Speaks” with a brief chant in Hebrew (transliterated) “ufros aleinu sukkat shlomecha”, which means “Spread over us Your shelter of peace.” This is a line from a larger prayer that asks God for peaceful sleep as well as the strength to stand up to life and for shelter from suffering. Traditionally, the prayer is said every evening before going to sleep as well as during the Friday evening (Sabbath) service.
About the Recordings:
1. Sedna Speaks (41:03) is an example of one of my full-length gong¬baths. I initially play Mr. Charlie and, after a few minutes, bring in Sylvia and Eiyeh Asher Eiyeh. After approximately 18 minutes, I gradually bring in Al Tira (the Sedna) and eventually play that gong exclusively until about 29 minutes into the meditation. The Sedna gong is very powerful medicine – it expands and challenges our ideas and assumptions about the very nature of the cosmos, opening us to new paradigms and non-duality, and provides us with access into the deep layers of the personal and collective unconscious, our super conscious, and Universal intelligences. After this intense vibrational blast, I return to the other gongs to conclude.
2. Tsunami (23:28) “Tsunami” is an intense meditation based on the teachings of Gongmaster Don Conreaux. This piece is played solely on Mr. Charlie – the sounds are made by using a single mallet to repeatedly strike a single spot on the outer edge of the gong (corresponding with the eighth chakra, or aura) for the entire length of the piece. The pace and intensity of the mallet strikes are increased imperceptibly over time until the sounds build – like a sonic tsunami – to a crescendo about halfway through. Once the wave crests, the pace and intensity of the mallet strikes are then decreased imperceptibly over time until the sounds, and the listener, resolve into peaceful silence. As taught by Gongmaster Don, a full tsunami mediation should last 45 minutes. Due to space limitations on this CD, I kept the length of this meditation to about half that time. I think you’ll get the idea.
Jere Friedman ~ Gongs, vocals, chimes
Produced and arranged by Jere Friedman ~ Gong2Heaven Productions
Recorded and mixed by: Jeff Merkel ~ Om Audio
Mastered by: Liv Singh Khalsa ~ Invincible Recording Studio
Photos by Joanne West ~ J. West Photography www.jwestphotography.com
Liner notes and design ~ Jere Friedman and Liv Singh Khalsa
Appreciations ~ Spirit / Ellen / Gongmaster Don Conreaux / Candace McKenna Caldwell / Yogiray / Hilary Bee / Jeff Merkel / Liv Singh Khalsa / and, especially, everyone who has enjoyed our gongbaths and supported me on this journey.